 Marketplace / Auctions / 1335
Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 23:26:32 GMT

   I disagreed with the particular defense you had used for allowing firm
bids in a proxy system.  I only lightly touched upon this asinine logic when
I stated that I disagreed with your "basis".  For the record, I do not see
large bid jumps as dishonest, only disheartening for this auction
buyer/seller, who will likely use an auction that does not have that feature
(that avoids trickery!) enabled (but not necessarily).  I am sure you have
other reasons (others have already posted some good ones) to allow firm bids
in a proxy environment, but the defense you chose to use definitely deserved
the argument that it received, and probably more, which it just received.
In other posts, I have seen some valid arguments that answered my question
(what is the use/need for firm bids in proxy auctions).  For further
clarity, I also stated that as a seller I don't like firm bids, and that we
can drop this because some auctions will allow firm bids, and some won't, in
the line below.

You can't eliminate Firm Bids, PERIOD.  If I wanted a firm bid of X in an
auction that didn't allow them, I'd bid a Proxy of X-minincr and X.  That's a
waste of bidder's time, is it not?

I personally use Ebay (and of course at least half of the RTL auctions out
there), but I rarely like Ebay.  I only bid on stuff there if it isn't available
elsewhere (which is often the case) and the price hasn't gone insane (which is
RARELY the case).  Fixed time auctions SUCK.  I lost out on a lot yesterday
because my system was down for about 30min, which included the end time.

--
| Tom Stangl, Technical Support          Netscape Communications Corp |
|      Please do not associate my personal views with my employer     |