 Marketplace / Auctions / 1286
Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 11:36:53 GMT

Derick Bulkley wrote:

The bidding mechanism also has some new functionality.

Assume the current lot is open with no bids and a $10 minimum.  Next, assume it
is an Airport Shuttle - built once.

I make a firm bid of $150, fine.  I then make a proxy bid of $400.  The net
result is I now have a proxy bid at $150 with a max of $400.

Then the phone bill comes.  I'm feeling a bit poor.  Now I make a firm bid of
$200.  Net result - I have a firm bid of $200.  I put a STOP order on my proxy.

Then I win the lottery, and submit a proxy bid of $600.  Net result: a proxy
bid of $200 with a max of $600.

I sure hope somebody can appreciate this  ;-)

Well, I can appreciate the technical elegance but I'm not sure I think
this is a good thing or not. Basically you're saying that as a bidder,
you can retract the "secret" part of your bid, as long as it hasn't been
revealed yet.

In your scenario, if I came along and put in a 375 proxy just before you
retracted your 400, it would be too late. Would it not be better to
train bidders to think about what they bid, realising that they have to
mean it?

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.