 Marketplace / Auctions / 1323
Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 13:49:41 GMT

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999 01:20:01 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote:

In lugnet.market.auction, jdiri14897@email.msn.com (John DiRienzo) writes:
Adding to that, only allow bids of incremental numbers.  If the
increment is $1, only allow bids in even dollars.  If the increment is ten
only allow bids in that increment, such as $70, $80, but not $75.  See?
This eliminates bumping, I think, if I am not overlooking anything this
time.  I think this is what I was refering to earlier (above and before),
but did not lay it out fully.

This part sounds good too.  If the increment is $10 and you don't allow bids
of $75, it's impossible for someone else to bid $75 and see their bid bounce
back to the other person at $75.

But it is possible to bid $10, and see the bid bounce back to the other
person at $10.  So limiting bids to exact increments won't solve the
"revealing the proxy bid" syndrome.  I think you were more on track with
the approach of raising the current bid to match the highest non-winning
bid.

Auction sites should work toward allowing people to spend their money the
way they want, as much as is reasonable.  IMO, minimum increments are
reasonable.  Restricting bids to exact multiples of minimum increments is
not.

It's important not to be able to see the other person's maximum even by
outbidding them because they might have applied that maximum on several
similar lots, and bidders could use this knowledge in a mischievous way.

That's very true.

Steve