 Marketplace / Auctions / 1292
Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 18:14:31 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

About the issue of whether new bids have to beat the proxy by the increment
amount, I say this:  as long as I can't be sniped at the last minute, I
don't care.  If someone beats me by a small amount or a large amount, if
I'm still willing to bid higher, I will.  But if I don't have time to make
another bid, I (and the seller) are effectively screwed.

Really?

Consider this scenario that could happen at SeriousCollector

You have an item won, sitting at 400, and your max proxy is 500. Someone
outbids you with a hard bid of 500.01 (lucky guess on their part) which
gets rounded to 500.50 under the rounding rules (as I understand them)

The bid increment is 15%. Are you willing to take the item to 575 or
thereabouts to win it back? Why should you have to spend 75 bucks to top
them if they only spent 50 cents to top you?

Remember, SC uses fixed percentage bid increments. It's early in the
life of the site, Bev is sharp and Derick is eager to please. Let's
thrash this out now.

So the problem with eBay once again come back to the fact that it is based
on fixed ending times.

Well, that's ONE of the problems.

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.