 Marketplace / Auctions / 1287
Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 11:47:01 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, simon.robinson@sdxplc.com (Simon Robinson) writes:
Apart from a few replies that have indicated AUCZilla and possibly
others don't work,  [...]

Any indications that AucZILLA doesn't work correctly have been incorrect.

Sorry - I actually meant to say that some replies had indicated that
AucZILLA doesn't work _in the way Larry had described_, not that it doesn't
work (full stop). Reading through my last posting, there was a comma after
'work' which
shouldn't have been there - which changed the whole meaning of the sentence.
Oooops!

this way, I'd be surprised if any bidding software
actually used that sort of algorithm to calculate the new bid, simply
because it's such a computationally inefficient way of doing it.

What do you mean by "this way" and by "that sort of algorithm"?

I mean, "in the way Larry had described, by actually
running through each bid increment - as opposed to simply looking
directly to see who currently had the biggest maximum bid."

By "computationally inefficient" do you mean 1/1000 second versus 1/10000
second to process a bid?  :)

A fair point - the actual times probably don't matter too much given typical
computer CPU power - but then unnecessarily running through bid increments
instead of checking maximum bids directly  would look to me like a more
complex algorithm, which would take a (small) amount of extra effort to
code up as well. And I don't know many developers who like to give themselves
unnecessary work :)

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com