 Marketplace / Auctions / 1331
Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 23:03:54 GMT

Messages also help when a bidder is trying to bid on ALL lots of a piece, you only
want ONE, and after the bids get ridiculously high, you find out it's because he
needs "all the lots minus X pieces from the last lot", you only need X or less, so
you can civilly work it out so the bidding stops and you BOTH don't spend unneeded
money.

I've done that a few times before.

Of course, it all falls apart when some sniper comes in and bids on them every time
they hit G2 (so YES, you can snipe open-ended auctions, simply by dragging them on
needlessly long), pushing one or both people out of their price range.  This type
of sniping, after you finally worked out a mutual solution, REALLY sucks, because
in one case, if we had worked out the solution earlier, the lots would have gone
sold before bidder #3 even entered the auction.  I lost out, because I DO have
limits on the idiocy of prices for ANY Lego part out there.

Steve Bliss wrote:

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999 21:11:53 GMT, "James Brown"