 Marketplace / Auctions / 1347
Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 13:21:22 GMT

I like the idea of lugnet.market.auction.d (discussion) since most of the
people must be looking for auctions in this particular group.

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...

People like options.  People like to be able to think with their own mind,
not be constrained by the computer.  Minimum increments are good, maximum
increments are no good.

   People like options.  Right.   But people, myself included, can hear of
some of these options out of context, and think that it is not so good.
When I finally closely examined Super Auction, I found myself agreeing with
most of the rules/options that were standard/available for its auctions.
However, reading in a post in this group that the minimum bid increment was
15% seemed ghastly.  Upon further inspection, I saw the choice of bid
increment percentage as a great feature.  Sometimes, too many options can
cause misinterpretations of the system.  Simplicity can (and does) make a
system appealing.   eBay has become much more complex since millions of
people started using it.  It is (and has to be) evolving, too.

It's also amazing how many people eat Spam sandwiches, drink Budweiser, and
think that Married with Children is good television.

   Personally, I occasionally like Budweiser, and I feel that "good
television" is an oxymoron.  But I digress.

But I'm not arguing that eBay isn't adequate for the masses.  The problem • is
that it's just barely adequate -- not excellent, and certainly not a good
role model.  Kudos to Derick for starting a new, general purpose auction
environment which WILL appeal to the masses yet won't have many of the
horrible broken things that are wrong with eBay.

   I like Derick's system, too, and think its features are novel and
superior to eBay's.

Using eBay quite a bit, I have dealt with a lot of happy people.
Happy snipers?  People with infinite amounts of money?  Or normal humans?

   Normal? :-)  You're normal?

I have heard some "horror stories", in fact they aren't uncommon,
but people still manage to enjoy it.
...in the same way that people still manage to enjoy exercise and homework?
;-)
[just kidding]

  No, in the same way (some) people enjoy shopping at department stores.
They can buy just about anything they want, but, obviously, they can't buy
everything in the store.  (Damn the bad luck!)

   Have fun!

John ( jdiri14897@email.msn.com ) remove NOSPAM:
John's Lego Web Trade Page:
http://www114.pair.com/ig88/lego/index.htm
MOC,CA[cl,bf,cr,fm,bk+++ wp,dm,rk,df++ fk-]++++(6035)
SW,TR,old(456)+++ TO++ PI,SP+ DU--
#+++++ S LS¼ Hy? M+ A+++ LM-- IC12m