 Marketplace / Auctions / 1262
Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 19:38:19 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Larry Pieniazek writes:
I (as well as all other participants) got a note from Ian Bishop in
early March about a proxy quandary that had arisen.

Seems he had a bidder that had bid 285 (a winning bid at the time) with
proxy cap of 300. Someone else subsequently bid 300. Ian awarded
(rightly, to my way of thinking) the winning bid to the first bidder,
since that bidder had bid 300 "first".

Makes sense to me.

But consider many auctions run by software. I suspect, but can't
confirm, that the outcome might be different, at least in some. This is
based on my interpretation of how I believe they work.

In particular, if you look at bidding history, I think this is how
AucZILLA works. But I could be wrong, which is why I am asking.

Consider this scenario. 1 dollar minimum bump.

Item starting bid is 10.
Bidder A puts in a bid of 10 with a proxy cap of 13.
Bidder B puts in a bid of 11.  This exceeds A's current bid, and B gets
the item "temporarily".

The auction software ratchets A's bid to 12, taking the item back.
Bidder B puts in a bid of 13. This exceeds A's current bid. B gets the
item.

No further bids ensue

For the software to allow A to overbid B, A would have to have a proxy
cap of 14. But A does not. His cap is 13, so the software cannot bid him
to 14, nor should it. So B retains the item.

Yet A had signaled willingness to go to 13, and had done so well before
B bid that amount. By rights, the item should have been won by A. He
"bid 13" first. Had he put in a hard bid of 13, he would clearly have
been there first under AucZILLA rules, right?

Am I all wet? Does AucZILLA work this way? Do other auction systems? Do
any work the other way? (that is, when a new bid comes in, the current
proxy bid is first raised to the new bid level, if possible, to see if
it was there "first")

I think AucZILLA works differently (but I can't recall for certain - that's
Todd's baby)  I know e-bay does it differently(1), which implies, at least,
that Everyauction and similar servers would follow suit.

I know that on most e-bay bids I lose, I get outbid by the standard incriment,
but every so often when I place a bid, I will get a 'you have been outbid for
this item, the current bid is now n' where n is the amount I bid, and the
current bidder is the person I was attempting to outbid.

I can't recall for certain, but I'm fairly certain that I've seen updates like
this in aucZILLA:
7 Blue Fibble-worbits      2.90    Me ---> Some other guy
7 Blue Fibble-worbits      3.00    Some other guy ---> Me
7 Blue Fibble-worbits      3.10    Me ---> Some other guy
7 Blue Fibble-worbits      3.10    Some other guy ---> Me

This implies, to my limited understanding, that we both proxied $3.10 on the
lot, but because I had it in first, the auction gives it back to me, even
though the price doesn't increment.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/