 Marketplace / Auctions / 1305
Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 23:57:29 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, galliard@shades-of-night.com (James Brown) writes:
[...]
I don't know about other people, but I tend to go into an auction (more
often a parts auction than an auction server, but the principle still
applies) with two things.  A maximum budget, and a list of things I want.
so if I'm looking at A and B, and have a maximum of $20.00, there's a huge
variety of prices that can apply.  Most of the options open to me involve
being able to reconsider either lot when I get outbid.  If I go with your
logic above, I bid $10 on each, and leave it.  What if A goes for $12 and
B goes for $3?  I've only got 1 lot that I wanted, and I still had budget
available.  If I was able to re-evaulate each time I got outbid (i.e. not
a snip-able system), I could keep bidding on lot A for another 5 bucks.

I know there's some holes in the logic, but the point is there.  I usually
know how much I'm willing to spend on something, but I can't very readily
predict how much I _can_ spend on something.  Does that make sense?

That makes perfect sense, yes!  And you can always scrounge together another
$.50 or $1.00 if you really need to at the last moment.  This is why it's so
important to have a re-review period.  There are two things that hurt the
most in auctions:  (1) losing an item you really wanted badly by being
outbid beyond your means, and (2) losing an item you really wanted badly by
being outbid by a silly small number, for whatever reason.  There's nothing
that can be done about the first problem -- that's just endemic to supply
and demand issues of auctions.  The second problem is easily prevented by
always giving people ample time to review bids before something goes sold.

Except that in a live auction, it doesn't end at a set time.  It ends
when people stop bidding.  You can't snipe a live auction. Period.

Darn good thing that you can't too!  There'd be a lotta people choking on
their own teeth.

--Todd