 Marketplace / Auctions / 1374
Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 18:29:31 GMT

No, I just talking about the case where someone comes in after the bids
have settled for a while, and bids on them at G2.  You outbid them, they
wait for G2, and bid again.  You outbid them, they wait for G2 (lather,
rinse, repeat).....

Get the idea?  THAT is what I consider sniping.  "Coming in out of nowhere"
and dragging on the lots.  The persons who I have seen do that don't do it
on 1 or 2 lots, they do it on 10-20 I'm bidding on, which may translate to
dozens in the auction.

I can understand just joining the auction and going "Wow lookit all these
neat parts!".  That doesn't count.  I'm talking about someone that has been
in the auction from the start, and basically quadruples or more the # of
lots they are bidding on JUST as they hit G2.  That's damn frustrating to
someone that has FINALLY come to a deal with another bidder, or flat out
outbid them, expects to see S on the next update, and doesn't.

Mike Stanley wrote:

Tom Stangl <toms@netscape.com> wrote:
Messages also help when a bidder is trying to bid on ALL lots of a piece, you only
want ONE, and after the bids get ridiculously high, you find out it's because he
needs "all the lots minus X pieces from the last lot", you only need X or less, so
you can civilly work it out so the bidding stops and you BOTH don't spend unneeded
money.

I've done that a few times before.

Of course, it all falls apart when some sniper comes in and bids on them every time
they hit G2 (so YES, you can snipe open-ended auctions, simply by dragging them on
needlessly long), pushing one or both people out of their price range.  This type
of sniping, after you finally worked out a mutual solution, REALLY sucks, because
in one case, if we had worked out the solution earlier, the lots would have gone
sold before bidder #3 even entered the auction.  I lost out, because I DO have
limits on the idiocy of prices for ANY Lego part out there.

I have to admit that I have jumped into bidding when items his G2
before, but I never thought of it as sniping.  Many times there are
lots that I am interested in, but don't really have the time or the
inclination to deal with the nickel and dime back and forth that goes
on during the early stages of the auction.  So I'll make a note to
check back on them when things settle down, then reevaluate whether or
not they are still in my price range.  If they are, I bid.  If they
aren't, I don't, and I feel better because I didn't waste my time
bidding against someone who wanted them more than me.

Surely you're not attributing some kind of nefarious intent to people
who do that and (inadvertantly) trash a private deal between two other
people?

--
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/