 Marketplace / Auctions / 1325
Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 19:33:04 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999 21:11:53 GMT, "James Brown"
<galliard@shades-of-night.com> wrote:

I recently saved a huge amount of time and effort by using firm bids in MA10.
Another bidder and I spent about a week dickering back and forth over a lot at
$.10 and $.15 increments - until the other bidder did a hard bid, jumping the
price $2.00.  I responded in kind, (back and forth a bit) and about 3 weeks of
bidding war was dealt with in a day and a half.

It also helps to be able to send messages to other bidders.  A polite
"there is no way o God's green Earth you are getting XXXXXX away from me"
goes a long way.  I've heard of less-polite messages, but I really wouldn't
know about those.  Sometimes deals can even be worked out--"leave me alone
on X, and I'll stop bidding on Y".

But a good, strong hard-bid early in the process is very effective.

Steve
Sanjay's recent Maersk Truck auction is another good example.  One early
bidder bid $50 when the rest of the trucks were at $35.  The $50 truck
sold
early and the rest ended up going for more than $50.
--
Paul Foster
http://reality.sgi.com/foster_stco/lego.html