 Marketplace / Auctions / 1472
Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 22:56:18 GMT

   I concur - if this is an often requested feature, maybe it should be
implemented.  Still, as a seller, I don't like bidders being able to scare
other bidders away from my auction.

Large jumps delight me.  I've had lots that were bickering in the $1
range suddenly be upped by bidder # 1 to $3.  Then, after being raised
to $3.10 by #2, the #1 it again to $7.  I'm delighted because I wouldn't
expect it to make it that far on the smaller increments - people would
get bored of it too quickly.  If the second bidder was willing to pay
$7.10, but doesn't bid because s/he just thinks #1 would double it
again, then I could be losing money.  I don't think that would happen,
however, because (in my slightly cynical way) I would expect #2 to WANT
to raise it to $7.10, if only to make #1 pay more for it.  When I see a
lot (usually non-Lego) that I want on eBay at a low price, I bid on it,
even if I think the proxy/later bidders will outbid me.  I simply want
to make sure the items goes for a decent price - improving the chances
that someone else would offer the same thing later.  And if my bidding
happens to take the lot, then I'm happy to win it.

This is a personal preference, of
course,

Certainly.

Naji