 Marketplace / Auctions / 1297
Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 20:40:02 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, John DiRienzo writes:
<snippage>
and is not a reasonable cause for eBay animosity or for an adjustment to the
way the auction (eBay) operates.

Todd answered most of your points much more sensibly than I could, but I still
want to reply this one.  Any system (auction or otherwise) that encourages
unfair activity, deserves at least as much animosity as it gets.  IMHO, ebay
doesn't get nearly enough animosity :)

  As a user of eBay, I can not complain.  In my current auctions, I have

That's part of the problem (to take your sentence literally).  eBay's primary
method of feedback is very cleverly directed not at the system, but at the
people who use the system.  If you are frustrated by something about eBay,
they very carefully redirect you so that the simplest path for your
frustration to take is on another user, not against the system itself.

attempted to put a damper on sniping, by ending all the items at the same
time.  However, this will only be effective if people are trying to bid on
more than one of my items (quite possible).  This is my only complaint, both

Doesn't matter.  A sniper will either use custom software (it exists!) to
snipe all your auctions, or he will simply do it the old fashioned way and
open 4 or 5 browser windows, and hit 'submit' on each of them in the last,
say, 3 seconds of your auction.

as a buyer and seller, of the eBay system - sniping is bad for both, and its
unfortunate that a fix has not been found.  The new auction site which

A fix has been found.  It's called SeriousCollector.com. ;-) (snide, shameless
plug)

extends the auction in the event of a very late bid is on the right track,
but still has other inadequacies - most importantly, a small market.

Only 1 way to fix that.  Go use it.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/