 Marketplace / Auctions / 1352
Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 14:39:19 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...

I once held an auction in 1994 where I sold a copy of 6012 Siege Cart.
Opening bid was something like $6.  It quickly went to $8, then to $10, • then
$12, $15, $20, $25, $30, $35, $40, $45, $50, then $55, and then in one • final
brilliant moment one of the final two bidders bid $101.  This completely
scared away the other bidder, who later admitted that he was just about to
call it quits at $60.  So here's a case (albeit extreme) where the final
price was roughly 40% higher than it would allegedly have climbed had there
been a cap on the maximum increment.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.  :-)

For a Siege Cart?? Wow!  Actually thats roughly 66% more, but who's
counting.  :-)
OTOH, if he had bid $50 or $60 from the get go, when the minimum was only
$6, its highly likely the auction would have ended uncontested.   Thats the
kind of bidding tactic I dislike, as a buyer somewhat, and more so as a
seller.  Anyway, I am not THAT strongly against it, although I may have
appeared to be.  I just wanted an explanation of why it was important, and I
got several. Thanks.

--

   Have fun!

John ( jdiri14897@email.msn.com ) remove NOSPAM:
John's Lego Web Trade Page:
http://www114.pair.com/ig88/lego/index.htm
MOC,CA[cl,bf,cr,fm,bk+++ wp,dm,rk,df++ fk-]++++(6035)
SW,TR,old(456)+++ TO++ PI,SP+ DU--
#+++++ S LS¼ Hy? M+ A+++ LM-- IC12m