 Marketplace / Auctions / 1264
Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 23:04:59 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, lar@voyager.net (Larry Pieniazek) writes:
[...]
In particular, if you look at bidding history, I think this is how
AucZILLA works. But I could be wrong, which is why I am asking.

Consider this scenario. 1 dollar minimum bump.

Item starting bid is 10.
Bidder A puts in a bid of 10 with a proxy cap of 13.
Bidder B puts in a bid of 11.  This exceeds A's current bid, and B gets
the item "temporarily".

The auction software ratchets A's bid to 12, taking the item back.
Bidder B puts in a bid of 13. This exceeds A's current bid. B gets the
item.

In the AucZILLA system, the lot is awarded to A (not B) for 13, because A's
bid of 13 came in first.

No further bids ensue

For the software to allow A to overbid B, A would have to have a proxy
cap of 14. But A does not. His cap is 13, so the software cannot bid him
to 14, nor should it. So B retains the item.

Yet A had signaled willingness to go to 13, and had done so well before
B bid that amount. By rights, the item should have been won by A. He
"bid 13" first. Had he put in a hard bid of 13, he would clearly have
been there first under AucZILLA rules, right?

Yes.

Am I all wet? Does AucZILLA work this way?
[...]

AucZILLA gives priority to the earlier of two equal bids, regardless of
automatic increments.  It would go to A for 13, not to B for 13.

--Todd