 Marketplace / Auctions / 1277
Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 17:59:23 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, simon.robinson@sdxplc.com (Simon Robinson) writes:
Apart from a few replies that have indicated AUCZilla and possibly
others don't work,  [...]

Any indications that AucZILLA doesn't work correctly have been incorrect.

this way, I'd be surprised if any bidding software
actually used that sort of algorithm to calculate the new bid, simply
because it's such a computationally inefficient way of doing it.

What do you mean by "this way" and by "that sort of algorithm"?

By "computationally inefficient" do you mean 1/1000 second versus 1/10000
second to process a bid?  :)

--Todd

A quick search
through the current bids to see who has the highest maximum - and if
there's a tie, which one bid first, would be much quicker.
(Although I guess that wouldn't work if you actually
to display all the intermediate steps to the bidders - I don't use
the main bidding systems enough to know if that's the case for them)