 Marketplace / Auctions / 1280
Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 19:30:40 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, lar@voyager.net (Larry Pieniazek) writes:
Not to split hairs, here, because now that I'm reassured that AucZILLA
works the way it does, I like the way it works... but isn't "correct" a
bit of a stretch?

Maybe a bit subjective, yeah.  :)

I'd say an auction system is working "correctly" if
the rules it claims to implement are consistent, and if it actually
implements them faithfully.

And fairly.

I'd grant you that AucZILLA is correct under that assumption, but I'm
not sure I'd go so far as to agree with your characterization of eBay
as "broken".

I'll explain why it's broken below...

Rob said
If that's the case then this
differs from how eBay handles this.  In eBay's case, you have to
beat the current bid by a minimum increment, not the proxy.

That's broken.

I don't like that behaviour. But it's not "broken" if the rules say
that's the way it will work and if it actually works that way.

The behavior isn't broken given the rules.  The rules are broken.

EBay's rule (requiring a new bid to exceed the current bid by the minimum
increment, rather than requiring a new bid to exceed the maximum (i.e.,
proxy) bid by the minimum increment) rewards snipers and increases the
probability that the current high bidder will get screwed over by a sniper
by only a penny.  This also increases the number of reports of people
frustrated by snipers, since it feels a million times worse to be sniped at
the last minute and lose by a measly $0.01 than to be sniped at the last
minute and lose by $2.00 (or whatever the minimum increment is at that
level).

The other ridiculous thing about eBay's rule is, when you bid $100 with a
proxy max of $150, you're -really- bidding $150 and just -hoping- that it'll
sell for as low as $100.  There's nothing weird about that, until you
realize that under eBay's system as described, a sniper can waltz in at the
last minute and take it away from you for $150.01 if you had the high bid of
$100.  In another situation, if you bid $149 with a proxy max of $150,
you're really still bidding $150 but this time hoping that it'll sell for as
low as $149 (rather than $100).  Now a sniper can't take it away for $150.01
but has to bid a full $154 (or whatever it takes) to take it away from you.
In both cases, you've bid $150 -- but with the difference being a hopeful
minimum of $100 vs $149.  So eBay's system encourages you to keep your min
and your max close together so that you can't be burned by their rules.

See what I'm getting on about, or am I actually splitting hairs?

Yup.

AucZILLA is "better" to me than eBay because I prefer the behaviour,
but eBay is not "broken" (except in the hacker sense of the word's
meaning).

Yeah, that's what sense of the word I mean.

I'd say eBay behaviour is more of a misfeature. (unless eBay rules or
helps claim it does something different)

Me2.

--Todd