 Marketplace / Auctions / 1265
Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 23:06:43 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, galliard@shades-of-night.com (James Brown) writes:
Am I all wet? Does AucZILLA work this way? Do other auction systems? Do
any work the other way? (that is, when a new bid comes in, the current
proxy bid is first raised to the new bid level, if possible, to see if
it was there "first")

I think AucZILLA works differently (but I can't recall for certain - that's
Todd's baby)

AucZILLA works the correct way.

I know e-bay does it differently(1), which implies, at least,
that Everyauction and similar servers would follow suit.

I know that on most e-bay bids I lose, I get outbid by the standard
incriment, but every so often when I place a bid, I will get a 'you have
been outbid for this item, the current bid is now n' where n is the amount
I bid, and the current bidder is the person I was attempting to outbid.

I can't recall for certain, but I'm fairly certain that I've seen updates
like this in aucZILLA:
7 Blue Fibble-worbits      2.90    Me ---> Some other guy
7 Blue Fibble-worbits      3.00    Some other guy ---> Me
7 Blue Fibble-worbits      3.10    Me ---> Some other guy
7 Blue Fibble-worbits      3.10    Some other guy ---> Me

This implies, to my limited understanding, that we both proxied $3.10 on
the lot, but because I had it in first, the auction gives it back to me,
even though the price doesn't increment.

Yup, that's correct.

--Todd