 General / 31003
Re: Are we? or are some of us builders? (was: Misnomer: we are all Lego collectors!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 01:27:12 GMT

In lugnet.general, James Howse writes:

The other point floating around is that I was a little dissatisfied with the
"July Surprise" and was  very disappointed to note people being chewed out
for not toeing the party line and having ecstatics over it. To me the
rerelease smacks of short term profiteering that has nothing to do with a
long term goal of making LEGO a better brand. If it was about builders, the
parts would have shown up in the Bulk Selection (mmm tutor walls in decent
sized quantities), it's not, it's about the set itself, it's value to the US
market and the collectors and completists out there.

I don't think you will find many collectors/completists diving to
go after this set.  They want the original because age still matters.
The people spending the most on this set are the ones who want the
pieces to build with---they're the ones buying them by the dozen.

Personally, while I like the re-release of this set (*anything* that's
not juniorized is good!), I too would prefer LEGO excercise some
ingenuity and release a new design, but with the same qualities.

In the big picture though, I have no brilliant ideas for LEGO(brand) nor
(and this was part of the point of the last paragraph) any spending
leverage. As a builder I buy more LEGO(bricks) rarely and always at a less
than retail or second-hand. Both these methods reduce the profit LEGO makes
from me. I can hardly expect LEGO(company) to listen real hard to me if I'm
not part of thier bottom line, can I?

Well TLC should listen to you *because* you're not spending money
on them, and you have reasons why.  Money may talk, but so does
an absence of it  ;]

KDJ
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada