 Off-Topic / Debate / 10774
Re: Misnomer: we are all Lego collectors!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 19:27:56 GMT

Matthew Gerber at matthew@digitaliris.com wrote:

But you are missing the point that it is the manufacturers THEMSELVES who
are doing this...the very moment that the word 'collectable' is slapped on
something, it automaically ISN'T, ya' know? LEGO is now guilty of jumping on
the bandwagon, with Bionicle (collectable masks, collectable card
game)...something that would never have happened in the past. The thinking
that there is a need to market to a collectables market is a fallacy! It is
in the natural growing admiration of something NEVER MEANT TO BE COLLECTABLE
that it becomes such! Slapping the word collectable on something to make it
such is wrong - slapping the word collector on someone is wrong also. Most
LEGO fans don't WANT to be collectors (I believe), they want to be bulilders
and have fun. No completest fantasies here (I know there may be some
exceptions-excuse my broad-brush), just folks playing with their toys.

My sentiments exactly.

~Grand Admiral Muffin Head
--
Mark's Lego(R) Creations