 Castle / 9426
Re: Misnomer: we are all Lego collectors!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 18:31:00 GMT

Okay.
First, the AFOLs on .Castle moaned and complained about how the Guarded Inn
was sooo cool, and the best set ever etc... So LEGO gives us a wonderful
present, they re-release a great set (IMHO) and make it availeable for even
the neophytes to Lego to have and enjoy the same as the original owners did.
And what happens the minute the set is announced? Every lego scalping idiot
crawls out from the shadows and complains that the re-release is bringing
down the value of the original.. What? Where was I when the newsletter came
around to announce we're all SELLING our sets to make a profit? Thats not
why I started collecting and thats not how Im going to end collecting. I
grew up on Lego, building and enjoying the worlds i created. I loved the
sets, and I still do. So whats the big deal about net worth? If you want to
scalp, scalp tickets. But dont bring down the foundation for many people's
childhoods, as well as ruin the idea of LEGO all together. Please.

But thats just my opinion.. I could be wrong..(I doubt it)
Catch you cats later!
-the Rascal King

In lugnet.castle, Jimmy Park writes:
I would just like to clarify a point here: we are all Lego collectors.  Lego
refers to us that way, we behave like classic collectors, and there is
nothing wrong with being a Lego collector!  Look at all the catalogs and
Lego Mania magazines.  They are geared for "collectors."  The mini-heroes
are called "collectable mini-figures," we are constantly asked to "collect
them all," Bionicles are all about collecting all the masks, etc.

Now, what most people seem to be objecting to are speculators AKA scalpers.
These are people who really don't care about what they are selling so much
as the profit involved.  Fortunately, by releasing the Classics and Legends
lines, Lego is gutting the scalper market before it takes off.  This is
great for us collectors in the long run since the chances of a scalper
driven market are reduced.

Just wanted to make sure the terminology is correct and we don't stigmatize
the term collector,

Jimmy