 General / 30929
Re: Are we? or are some of us builders? (was: Misnomer: we are all Lego collectors!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 03:09:51 GMT

In lugnet.castle, James Howse writes:

[snippety snip snip]

However, LEGO(company) knows where the money is and it's not with the
builders. And since they're a company who wants to collect money, they need
to go where it is, generating hype, imposing value and rerelasing sets which
go for overinflated E-bay prices.

I agree with most of this essay, so haven't quoted it. However, I think
(someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the vast majority of LEGO company's
income is derived from the "younger" market, which I think fall much more
generally into the definition of "builder" [1]. So I think the most money is
probably with the "builders" [2], which is why TLC doesn't generally cater
(directly) for "collectors". The LEGENDS line seems to me to be a relatively
low-cost [3] diversification by TLC to address this imbalance slightly.

ROSCO

[1] This doesnt touch on "juniorisation", which tends to push the definition
more towards "player" than "builder".
[2] or more correctly with the builders' parents / guardians, who most such
builders have wrapped around their little finger 8?)
[3] No model design required - probably not much in the way of tooling up
either.