 Off-Topic / Debate / 10819
Re: We may all be Lego collectors, but Lego isn't a Beanie-Baby style collectable
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 04:37:51 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
I'm making assumptions of course, but my point is
that it goes both ways, though I side with the builders.

Why *side* with either?

I'll do as I please.

As you should. I asked in order to try to understand, not challenge, your view.

<snip elaboration>

Thanks. Helpful.

This is a big tent. Welcome all who come, whatever their reason, as long as
it is without malice aforethought.

Whatever. If there's something you want to say to me, just say it.

I did say it, but not just to you, rather to all who read here. I'll say it
again...

Welcome all who come, whatever their reason for being part of the hobby even
if you don't personally dig it, as long as no harm comes of it. We need more
tolerance. More MOCing and less mocking, to steal a line from someone.

I think James B put his finger on the disconnect nicely. It's about paradigm
shifts. Being in the middle and enjoying both, I have a harder time
understanding the extreme view of someone who actively dislikes collectors
(not you, Dan, mind you, you did not say that you did, but others have in
the past) as well as the extreme view of someone who gets upset if a builder
opens a set (that he purchased fair and square and thus should be able to do
what he pleases with his property).

++Lar