 Off-Topic / Debate / 10813
Re: We may all be Lego collectors, but Lego isn't a Beanie-Baby style collectable
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 20:50:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
I'm making assumptions of course, but my point is
that it goes both ways, though I side with the builders.

Why *side* with either?

I'll do as I please.

If you want an explanation, here it is: Anyone with enough money can collect
LEGOs. There's no talent or creativity involved. There's no artistry, skill
or vision either. Collection is consumption. Consumption doesn't earn esteem
or respect with me. There's an attitude of materialism associated with
traditional collecting that I choose to avoid. Now, in particular with LEGO,
I am not interested in showcasing the product in it's retail form when it
has a greater purpose as a toy, tool and art medium. If people want to do
that, I say collect away and enjoy your collection! But as far as I'm
concerned, there's no appeal in simply owning and amassing LEGO sets. My
opinion, for me.

Why are there sides *at all* for that matter?

Sides, different attitudes, schools of thought, etc. The main point is that
people buy LEGOs for many reasons. Just know that Dan Jassim doesn't "oooh"
and "ahhh" over how many, or how rare, sets you have as much as he "ooohs"
and "ahhhs" over what neat things you created with the pieces. Building is
cool to me. Simple collecting is not cool to me. Again, I don't say this to
offend anyone. That's just my personal opinion.

That is what is baffling me. This isn't a territorial war, is it? Both
"sides" can "win", can't they?

I don't put things on a level of "war" and "winning," perhaps you do. I'm
just pointing out that different attitudes I've noticed in this forum, and
sharing mine. There's no malice intended.

I'm a builder AND a collector and there is nothing wrong with being both.

Great!

I have MISB sets I enjoy for their MISB-ness and other copies of the same sets
that I get down and play with on the rug.

Whatever makes YOU happy, everybody has their thing. I know I get no
pleasure owning and looking at a sealed box of LEGOs, regardless of how old
or rare it is and regardless of how many copies I have of it. That's me.

This is a big tent. Welcome all who come, whatever their reason, as long as
it is without malice aforethought.

Whatever. If there's something you want to say to me, just say it.

Dan