 Off-Topic / Debate / 10790
Re: Misnomer: we are all Lego collectors!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:26:09 GMT

Nevermind, because you don't hold Lego in high regard.

It is a good collectable. Your not winning any admiration here by saying
that it's not.

Perhaps you have'nt seen my Creations.

www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Legomaster

Also, your forgetting that every year additional sets are added or new theme
sets are added to the product line. So sets go extinct. Making them
collectable. Pieces have a rarity to them if you don't know that.....

It really bugs me that you over looked this and how you simplified what ever
the heck it was you were saying about sets and parts and making them from
others.

And I'm the Legomaster! where do you get off Questioning me!

I want to see pix of what you made!

And trust me that's about as rough as I have ever gotten on Lugnet ever.

Freinds.

Legomaster

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Eric Sophie writes:
---- See Below
In any case, my point stands: I might be termed a collector of Lego, but
Lego itself is a poor collectable.

Bruce

----In the sense that it isn't easy or TLC never made it easy to collect
Lego, I agree.

Eric

No, in the sense of what makes something a good collectable.  That is
usually uniqueness and to some degree, scarcity.  Unless there is a specific
unique part in the set, Lego rates real low on that scale (primarily the
box).  You can find any given piece in another set (for the most part), and
the piece can often be found for sale separate from the set.  Thus the set
itself can be duplicated without actually being it as a set.  Further, the
value of Lego itself increases to the buyer by (horror of horrors) mixing it
with other sets!

Note the Guarded Inn is both scarce and has unique parts and has/had a
"collectable" price.

Now, this doesn't stop people from collecting Lego and keeping it in
unopened pristine condition - some do - but I didn't say that you couldn't
treat it as a collectable, just that it makes a poor collectable.

Bruce