 Castle / 9425
Re: Misnomer: we are all Lego collectors!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 18:28:31 GMT

Jimmy Park at madoka@jps.net wrote:

I would just like to clarify a point here: we are all Lego collectors.  Lego
refers to us that way, we behave like classic collectors, and there is
nothing wrong with being a Lego collector!  Look at all the catalogs and
Lego Mania magazines.  They are geared for "collectors."  The mini-heroes
are called "collectable mini-figures," we are constantly asked to "collect
them all," Bionicles are all about collecting all the masks, etc.

I disagree. I am a Builder. Buying sets is a side effect of my parts
requirements. I don't buy every set on the market, or in a given theme. I
don't consider myself a collector, because I don't gain pleasure from owning
every set in a series. Sure, I have some sets that may be my favorites, but
I keep nothing in the box, and I don't ever intend to resell. I think that
is where the distinction lies.

~Grand Admiral Muffin Head
--
Mark's Lego(R) Creations