 Off-Topic / Debate / 10784
Re: Misnomer: we are all Lego collectors!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 22:23:26 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:
Sooooo, what are you saying...we should all remain ignorant and let somebody
else define things for us?  I was merely trying to correct the method that
was being used to define a collector.  To say that a collector is simply a
person who collects things...well, that definition assumes that you already
know what it means to collect.  Obviously some folks in this thread didn't
really know the differnce.

    Also, Mark has attempted to point out that there is popular definition
of "collect" that does not fit the official one and that he prefers not to
be confused with this new popular definition of "collect".  Fortunately one
of the cited definitions helped him to clarify his case further.

Right. Obviously 'collector' will mean different things to different
folks...SO WHAT? We are all entitled to our own opinion of who we are, and
how we view ourselves in the 'collector' world. Me, a builder-I build by the
instructions once, then I toss all new parts into a bin for general
consumption. Others, collectors-one of everything for completeness. Still
others, scalpers-One for them, 10 more to sell at 2X retail on E-Bay. And
many more in-between.

   Don't be surprised if a future publication defines "collect" as
"gathering up to achieve completeness", or something to that effect.  This
happens all the time, just look at a dictionary of about thirty years ago
and you will find that sexuality has nothing to do with the definition of
"faggot".

God's honest truth..it'll happen just like Kirby says.

In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
I think there is a difference between someone who collects something and
something that is a "collectable" (please no semantic-driven dictionary
"proofs").  I might be a collector of Lego, but Lego is not a particularly
good "collectable", even if Lego wishes to inspire collector mentality.
There's a subtle difference in practice, and a huge difference in effect.

Don't like the cites, huh? Oh well...'semantic-driven'? Not hardly...maybe
you didn't notice the actual relevance of showing them, but you seem to have
gotten the point one way or another...yes, there IS a difference...that was
the point. But, are you automatically a collector when you buy something a
manufacturer labels 'collectable'? If you want to be...go ahead. If not, rip
open the package and play to your heart's content...that's what toys are
for, after all!

Matt