 Off-Topic / Debate / 10811
Re: We may all be Lego collectors, but Lego isn't a Beanie-Baby style collectable
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:59:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
I'm making assumptions of course, but my point is
that it goes both ways, though I side with the builders.

Why *side* with either?

Why are there sides *at all* for that matter?

That is what is baffling me. This isn't a territorial war, is it? Both
"sides" can "win", can't they?

Absolutely correct.  As you're fond of saying, this is a big tent, with room
for all.  However, and I think this is Dan's point, between hard-core
builders and hard-core collectors, there is a significant paradigm shift.
To me (and I suspect Dan & others), I can't *remotely* comprehend a primary
purpose for a Lego hobby that isn't building & playing.  I literally don't
get it.  I can respect it, and acknowledge that some people apparantly do
get it, but I have long since given up on ever understanding it.

As Dan says, there are probably hard-core collectors that wince every time
they hear about a rare MISB set getting torn open, sorted, and the packaging
tossed; and they can't understand how someone could so utterly disgregard
the value of that set.

And like all things in life, most of us fall somewhere between the extremes.

James