 Off-Topic / Debate / 10782
Re: Misnomer: we are all Lego collectors!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 21:57:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Eric Sophie writes:
Thanks for the effort, but this is part of Lugnet's problem. We don't need
to be so specific, we don't need to define ourselves. We know what we do.
Let's be careful not allow a post to begin making us go crazy. Were into
Lego. Period. You want to go and get a dictionary....well your missing the
point.

BTW the dictionary thing was not aimed at you Mathew, but thanks for getting
us an official entry.

<snip>

Eric

<snip>

Sooooo, what are you saying...we should all remain ignorant and let somebody
else define things for us?  I was merely trying to correct the method that
was being used to define a collector.  To say that a collector is simply a
person who collects things...well, that definition assumes that you already
know what it means to collect.  Obviously some folks in this thread didn't
really know the differnce.

     Also, Mark has attempted to point out that there is popular definition
of "collect" that does not fit the official one and that he prefers not to
be confused with this new popular definition of "collect".  Fortunately one
of the cited definitions helped him to clarify his case further.

    Don't be surprised if a future publication defines "collect" as
"gathering up to achieve completeness", or something to that effect.  This
happens all the time, just look at a dictionary of about thirty years ago
and you will find that sexuality has nothing to do with the definition of
"faggot".

     Yes, we do need to get detailed when trying to explain who we are.  I'm
with Mark, I am not a collector in the popular sense, I am gathering up lego
so that I can build stuff.  If I could find some use for beanie babies, I
might gather a few up, however I could more easily gather the materials at a
fabric shop.  For those of us who build with lego, it isn't quite that easy
to find a general brick shop:^)

~Kirby