 Castle / 9435
Re: Misnomer: we are all Lego collectors!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 19:19:35 GMT

Yes, I am a collector, I guess there is no way around it. I call myself a
builder. I gotta say, their are folks out there that just buy a set and
either build it and place it on a shelf or save the unopened box, these guys
are not builders.

Eric

In lugnet.castle, Jimmy Park writes:
In lugnet.castle, Eric Sophie writes:

Hmmm, interesting, Yep I buy a set for the Pcs. When I built my Praying
Mantis I brought tons of Castle sets. I have'nt purchased a set and built
the featured Model in years. I belive the last one was the Technic controll
center with the Mechanical T-rex. I'm with Mark, I'm a builder, builder and
collectors are two different animals. Yet we share many of the same traits.

That's because people are trying to redefine the term collector and it's
confusing people.  You might consider yourself a Lego "builder" but to 99.9%
of the world, you are a Lego collector.  If someone plays with Hot Wheels, I
would call him a Hot Wheels collector, not a Hot Wheels Driver, not a Hot
Wheeler, not a Hot Wheels user, or whatever else that person is trying to
term themselves.

Again, Lego, Lego Direct, and every employee of Lego I've ever talked to
refers to us as "Lego collectors."  For whatever reason, some people want to
demonize/stigmitize the term as bad.  It's not.  In every other collecting
field, the term collector usually denotes a fan of the series.  I'm just
trying to clarify the definitions to prevent future misunderstands.

Jimmy