 Castle / 9431
Re: Misnomer: we are all Lego collectors!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 18:56:25 GMT

     Heh...I've collected a lot things over the years:  bugbites, cavities,
pounds...if anyone is interested, i'd love to scalp some of these things :^D

In lugnet.castle, Jimmy Park writes:
I would just like to clarify a point here: we are all Lego collectors.  Lego
refers to us that way, we behave like classic collectors, and there is
nothing wrong with being a Lego collector!  Look at all the catalogs and
Lego Mania magazines.  They are geared for "collectors."  The mini-heroes
are called "collectable mini-figures," we are constantly asked to "collect
them all," Bionicles are all about collecting all the masks, etc.

Now, what most people seem to be objecting to are speculators AKA scalpers.
These are people who really don't care about what they are selling so much
as the profit involved.  Fortunately, by releasing the Classics and Legends
lines, Lego is gutting the scalper market before it takes off.  This is
great for us collectors in the long run since the chances of a scalper
driven market are reduced.

Just wanted to make sure the terminology is correct and we don't stigmatize
the term collector,

Jimmy