 General / 30938
Re: Are we? or are some of us builders? (was: Misnomer: we are all Lego collectors!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:43:41 GMT

In lugnet.castle, James Howse writes:

(snipping long discussion on what is and isn't a collectable)
This difference is not really about scalpers or speculators, as a builder I
have very little interest in the (non)existance of a "scalper's market". The
best way to sell something is to know a lot about it, i.e. be interested in
it, hence the crossover between interest-collectors and value-collectors.
However, LEGO(company) knows where the money is and it's not with the
builders. And since they're a company who wants to collect money, they need
to go where it is, generating hype, imposing value and rerelasing sets which
go for overinflated E-bay prices.

Yay for them, I'll be in the corner building something with my collection.

James (who has more to say than two cents)

The saying refers to the value of what you have to say, not the amount you
have to say.  :-)

It's been noted already that this isn't the Big Monolithic Lego Group making
the decision to put the Guarded Inn on the market to tap the scalper's
market.  This was pretty much the decision of one guy trying to build up the
Lego Direct division.  All he seems to be doing is acknowledging that the
set is in demand, is considered a classic, and will probably sell well.  He
doesn't have the authority to put it in store shelves.  Criticizing the
decision because the set currently goes for overinflated eBay prices (heck,
let's slam BrickBay, too, the prices are higher there) is mystifying to me.
How the heck does Lego make money off of eBay?  Couldn't they have charged a
lot more for the set - and gotten it! - than they did?  I'll be ripping open
the box, intermingling parts, and building stuff with my Guarded Inns.  If
you want to put your nose in the air, go ahead, but I just don't understand
your comments at all.

Bruce