 Administrative / Curators / 105
  Help Please Links! -----> .Mecha

Um, Help please! Our little corner of Lugnet has no Curator. .Mecha, but with no Curator our Links are not getting updated. I for one have paid money to be a part of Lugnet and I would like my Link posted to the resources list. Legomaster's Lego (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.admin.curators, lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.build.mecha)

  Re: Help Please Links! -----> .Mecha

Everyone Please add your Links to this thread. Keep the Link info simple: Title of your Site Link URL Make sure your site at least has no content which may be objectionable. I would say a "G" rating at least has the chance of getting listed. Let's (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.build.mecha)

  Re: Help Please Links! -----> .Mecha

Please add my Link to the Mecha Resources List: Legomaster's Lego Continuum (URL) you, Eric Sophie aka Legomaster (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.build.mecha)

  Re: Help Please Links! -----> .Mecha

(...) Actually, that isn't entirely true, Eric. I put in my bid for this curatorship some months ago when curatorships were first announced. Unfortunately, so much time has gone by and I've become so busy that I don't feel I could do the curator (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.admin.curators, lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.build.mecha)

  Re: Help Please Links! -----> .Mecha

Dave the net effect is the same. No one has come forward. Intentions or no, we still have no curator. I post around here quite a bit, there is no need to correct me. I remember just fine that you were interested in Curatorship a while back and I (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Help Please Links! -----> .Mecha

(...) I think that's about the size of it. Suz and the other admins, I suspect, don't have time to maintain links pages. I would suggest that you might want to mount an effort to find another curator candidate among your ranks. You said you (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.admin.curators, lugnet.build.mecha)

  Re: Help Please Links! -----> .Mecha

Oh brother. (yawn.) (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Help Please Links! -----> .Mecha

(...) How is this on topic for off-topic.debate? I gave you some pretty good advice on how to proceed (get a curator, by convincing someone to volunteer, or at least set up a links page yourself) as well as some constructive feedback, and your (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Help Please Links! -----> .Mecha

Dude, I have my reasons, the beauty in life is the duality that exists in all truths. Please understand that I asked with a PLEASE. If someone asks please, perhaps compassion could take it somewhere. If you sat with me, you would know me for who I (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Help Please Links! -----> .Mecha

(...) As someone who has tried to keep up a comprehensive links page, I agree that it's way too much work. Most of what I did was done during a period of time where my work responsibilities only filled about 20% of my time. A partial problem also is (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.admin.curators, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Help Please Links! -----> .Mecha

(...) In the end, don't we all want to be happy? Can I *please* stomp on someone else's foot? That'll make me so happy! No? But I said please! There are soooo many newsgroups. If the admins were to take on the responsibility for maintaining links (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Help Please Links! -----> .Mecha

(...) Yes, it's much more work that people might imagine. I have an enormous workload, which unfortunately leaves link updates lower priority than many other tasks. For me, even taking the time to automate recurring tasks, or to assign a task (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.admin.curators, lugnet.publish, lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  How to get link pages made

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Koudys writes: <a bunch of good stuff... thanks. Great analogy to property tax by the way!> I just want to comment on this bit: (...) David: FTX is not that hard to learn to do the basics. It's way way was easier (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: How to get link pages made

Guys, were only talking about a Few People here. There are only a Dozen at best Mecha Builders who contribute to the .Mecha community who are unaccounted for. The links that are out of date have been out of date for a long time, and they were put (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: How to get link pages made

Your love for The Brick--indisputable Your appreciation for all things LEGO--unquestionable Your want for things on LUGNET to improve--admirable I did a quick scan--there are 52 top level groups in LUGNET (taken from the first page of Newsgroup, (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: How to get link pages made

Dude, your still giving reasons not to help us. I said there are only a few people about. No one wants to take the job. As an example my Friend Dave said he would like to he just can't promise to keep up with it. Evan though I gave him a hard time (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: Help Please Links! -----> .Mecha

(...) [...] Perhaps one or more of the existing curators who have figured out how it is done can be drafted to write such instructions....? Remember the 3 most important things in management: "delegate, delegate, delegate." --Bill. (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.admin.curators, lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: How to get link pages made

This is the key point here - you should be asking the Mecha Guys to curate the Mecha group. Why is that so hard to understand? (...) -- | Tom Stangl, Sun ONE Internet Technical Support, Sun Microsystems | iPlanet Support - (URL) Please do not (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: Help Please Links! -----> .Mecha

(...) What are the obligations of the curator. If the links just have to be kept up to date, I'm sure I could do it, or learn how. I don't have a site to add (heck, I don't even have any decent mecha to show!), but I'd be happy to help out in any (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.admin.curators, lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.build.mecha)

  Re: How to get link pages made

(...) And you're still giving reasons not to help yourself. If you feel that strongly, please use the time you've spent posting to this thread to find someone willing to be the curator of the group, or do it yourself. Thats it. Problem solved. (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: Help Please Links! -----> .Mecha

(...) Fair enough. I'm still quite interested in the .build.mecha curatorship. After all, I took it upon myself to do the research needed in order to help keep .build.mecha a comprehensive resource for it's users. I feel I've got the basics of FTX (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.admin.curators, lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: How to get link pages made

(...) The average number of participants in .mecha have no relation to my not having time to make sure its links are up to date. (...) You can be sure it's nothing personal. I don't make any calls as to what 'deserves' to be added. (...) I probably (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: Help Please Links! -----> .Mecha

Yeah! That's the Spirit Rob!!! great! Let's see what the next step would be. I'll be at work all night, so perhaps I'll add your request and send it Admin. Can we see if others are interested that know FTX first? If not, it's all yours. We just need (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.admin.curators, lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.build.mecha)

  Re: How to get link pages made

Hey Tom, we have already tried. Why can't you do some digging before you rush out and say that. The .mecha group is at an impass, that's why I'm asking for help. What's your deal. Legomaster (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: How to get link pages made

I feel strongly about busibodies interfereing with my request to the leadership of Lugnet. I also made it clear that I'm not up for the job myself. There is nothing wrong with admitting that I cannot commit to the position and my wanting at least to (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: Help Please Links! -----> .Mecha

I would like to thank you very much. If you are curator, I thought that I could give you some assistance. I would done the job myself, but I am not a full member, I just lurk and post every once in a while. I have compiled a small list of link (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.admin.curators, lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.build.mecha)

  Re: How to get link pages made

Suz, where would you like to eat, what Lego Set do you want, and I'll be sending a C note from my next paycheck to be sure. Suz, about the posts this morning. I worked last night and stayed up half the day. I was WAY to tired to be thinking clearly. (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: How to get link pages made

My deal is that you are wasting everyone's time, asking for "outsiders" to take up the reins for "your" group, because "you" (meaning you and any .mecha regular) are too lazy to do so. Why the HECK should someone with absolutely no interest in mecha (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: How to get link pages made

Oh brother (Yawn) You waste your own time getting involved when I asked Lugnet leadership to help out. You took it upon yourself to say what you did. Sorry I was so nice to at Bricks West. Situation has been resolved. Your looking at all the (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Help Please Links! -----> .Mecha

(...) Perhaps when Eric became a member up-to-date link pages were part of the "deal". Did the gov't cut your grass when you 1st bought your property/paid the tax? ;) Scott A (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: How to get link pages made

(...) It's not quite as simple as that. I expect a great deal of people are able to produce quite decent html pages without really looking at the html... by using editing packages like FrontPage. They are easy to use, and get it correct 95% of the (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Help Please Links! -----> .Mecha

(...) I would probably have time to assist with this, despite being a newbie to FTX. If anyone else is interested and has time to giving something back to Lugnet in this way please post here and email me. We can discuss the structure of what we (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.admin.curators, lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: How to get link pages made

(...) Well, because it would be a very simple gateway to the kinds of skills that would make HTML pretty easy too. FTX is butt-simple. (...) I can only assume that anyone who allows the learning of FTX to get in their way of curatorship, simply (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: How to get link pages made

(...) *Perhaps* FTX is part of the "hassle" - that is all I am saying. Scott A (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.publish)

  That's no excuse (was Re: How to get link pages made)

(...) This is the just latest example of this issue, and I hope Eric doesn't think I'm picking on him specifically, but I've been wanting to comment on this for some time now: Why do people insist that being tired, or even that the hour is late, is (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.people)

  Re: How to get link pages made

(...) :-) that's not necessary. (...) don't worry about it. (...) I know. (...) I think they do care. (...) That's not the important thing. I'd actually be most happy to see you relax. build on, Suz (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: How to get link pages made

(...) This seems to express a basic misunderstanding of the way Lugnet is run. From what I can tell, there is no "Admin staff" around here. The administration of Lugnet is done by fans who have been major contributors to the community(1), who (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: How to get link pages made

(...) Yet you did. You made a scene until Suz finally spent some time (on something she had NO expectations to do so by anyone, it seems, except you) to update your links. Yet again I state - you could have learned FTX by now and updated the links. (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: How to get link pages made

(...) Perhaps, but here is all of the FTX you need to know to create a page of links: <> That's it. To make a list of links you only need this: (URL) First Link Description> (URL) Second Link Description> (URL) Third Link Description> (URL) Fourth (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: That's no excuse (was Re: How to get link pages made)

(...) Hmm, an interesting discussion. I think to a point it is good to give consideration to the condition you are in. For example, if you call me in the middle of the night with what you feel is urgent news, you should give consideration to how I (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.people)

  Re: How to get link pages made

(...) Yeeesss, you seem to understand this... (...) Yeeesss, you seem to understand this... (...) Oh dang, you were doing so well there for a moment, but then you lost the logical conclusion... (...) The help is out there. It's called FTX docs and (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: How to get link pages made

(...) links: (...) Hmm, interesting thought. In the web interface, "< set:6285 BSB>" (without the space between the "<" and "set" will show up as a link to (URL) with the label BSB (see <set:6285 BSB>). How about making the FTX syntaxed HTTP link (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: How to get link pages made

I believe FTX is an issue in some cases, yes. I'd just like to add a quick note here. Yesterday, as I began to mention here: (URL) I make a call for specific curators (in aprox 3 weeks), I plan to have some support docs available for the potentially (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: How to get link pages made

Alright already, stop being so mean. (URL) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: How to get link pages made

Goodbye. (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: How to get link pages made

To Eric: The way you went about this whole issue was wrong. Your comments left a bad taste in my mouth. I, along with most others, respect Suz commitment to us but understand the she isn't Superman and can't do all. Trying to keep up my own pages (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: How to get link pages made

(...) don't. Eric: Your use of creative energy has been all wrong. Basically, you whined to get your way. You spent a lot of time whining and rejecting the helpful advice of others who know whereof they speak. You say you don't have time to do a (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: How to get link pages made

(...) This statement alone is more than enough to TICK ME OFF! There is no laziness involved at all. I have the FTX knowledge and gumption to get the job done. Funny thing about the .build.mecha page though...when I go to it, I see no discernable (...) (22 years ago, 9-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Chain of command (Was:Re: How to get link pages made)

(...) Darn right! Far too many times has info been 'given' by one of LUGNET's policemen (myself included), only to be corrected by Suz at a later time. I learned my lesson long ago to let the 'official' source answer rather than to incur the wrath (...) (22 years ago, 9-May-02, to lugnet.admin.curators, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Help Please Links! -----> .Mecha

(...) So what else is new? (...) Really? Wow, I hadn't noticed! (...) That's my solution as well. What you are suggesting is only possible IF the request to curate gets answered, which it never was on multiple occasions by more than one person. (...) (22 years ago, 9-May-02, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Help Please Links! -----> .Mecha

(...) Really? When did this process start? Suz appoints the curators last time I checked, not the groups themselves. I've had quite a few people ask when I am going to update .org.us.lugola. I have to point out that I'm not the curator. (...) Some (...) (22 years ago, 9-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: How to get link pages made

(...) That was done months ago, but thanks for reitterating what's been done already. (...) :) (...) Ah, so I guess she's never dealt with the person who volunteered, but got no response from her. That was the person who finally walked away (...) (22 years ago, 9-May-02, to lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: How to get link pages made

(...) No, Eric expected the curator of .build.mecha to update the links. That's a tough thing to request when no curator has been named. If the curator doesn't do the job then go to the next higher source. Locical? yep. (...) and again I point out (...) (22 years ago, 9-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Promoting Better understanding

Becasue I care about the community I'd like to give myself and everyone another chance at promoting a better understanding. Let me start by saying, I'm sorry for all the hassle. I should have posted within my Lug group asking and encouraging a (...) (22 years ago, 9-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Promoting Better understanding

(...) It was a simple misunderstanding, Eric, that's all. (...) Eric, you knew long ago that I'd asked for the curatorship of .build.mecha. You also knew of my frustration watching as other curators were named, but not for .build.mecha. When I (...) (22 years ago, 9-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Promoting Better understanding

Dave thanks for the support and thanks for being so cool about this whole thing. I still promise to be more careful. Hugs Eric (22 years ago, 9-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: How to get link pages made

(...) Well now, THAT is a legitimate complaint. Then again, this is the first mention of that in .debate. I'm curious as to why Suz took the time to update the links, rather than just take the time to set you up as curator. Perhaps you need to ping (...) (22 years ago, 9-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: How to get link pages made

Dave, I got the point from Eric's posts in .debate. I can't help the fact that he NEVER mentioned that you (and others) were actively attempting to become curators. He simply stated noone would step up to a curator position. That's quite different (...) (22 years ago, 9-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Promoting Better understanding

(...) But did everyone else? Was this a private email, or a post that others can look up? (...) Understandable. (...) Perfectly understandable ;-) (...) Ohhhh, DEFINITELY. If all your requests were via private email, rather than posts, how the heck (...) (22 years ago, 9-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Promoting Better understanding

Eric, I know how you feel. I once posted content that would have better been kept to myself, and I got slammed. It felt like everyone was attacking and I had no help. Since then I have learned to examine the content from all points before posting (...) (22 years ago, 9-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Promoting Better understanding

Thanks Tom, I really don't want you to be mad at me. I hope you except my appologies as well. Good luck. Sincerly, Eric Sophie (...) (22 years ago, 9-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Promoting Better understanding

Thanks, that means alot to me. Better to do the right thing. One other thing, I used peoples names to make some of my points, this was kinda not cool after I thought about it. My appologies in using peoples names from the Mecha group to solidify my (...) (22 years ago, 9-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)