 People / 3131
3130  |  3132
Subject:
That's no excuse (was Re: How to get link pages made)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 12:18:34 GMT

In lugnet.admin.curators, Eric Sophie writes:
Suz, about the posts this morning. I worked last night and stayed up half
the day. I was WAY to tired to be thinking clearly. I was on Mecha instincts
alone.

This is the just latest example of this issue, and I hope Eric doesn't think
I'm picking on him specifically, but I've been wanting to comment on this
for some time now:

Why do people insist that being tired, or even that the hour is late, is an
excuse for being rude, mean, spastic, or unthinking?  For years I've heard
people say "oh, I was just tired" or "hey, I'm just acting hyper because
it's 3 am."

It seems that we (some of us, not me) have come to accept whatever behaviour
you throw out there when tired, and that I'm somehow obligated to forgive
you.  If you were drunk and acted stupid, most people would think that
you're an irresponsible jerk. But if you're drunk on fatigue or excitement,
I'm suppose to think it's ok and not hold you accountable later when you
sober up.  Just like people who know they get drunk after a few glasses of
wine, after this happens once or twice in your life, I think you should
realize that you just don't do evenings and stop trying.

ESPECIALLY Online!  When you post to some forum like Lugnet, we're not
reading your words in your context, we have our own.  Please keep in mind
that someone will be reading your post who has no idea who you are, whether
you're acting normally or impulsively, and (this is for you Larry) may not
know your history of good comments to put your outrageous comment in
perspective.

So my point is, think before you speak, act and especially before you post
in a public forum.  Thanks. :)

Ben Roller

P.S.  I posted this to .people since I wanted to comment on people in
general, but please feel free to set your FUT as appropriate.