 Administrative / Curators / 107
Re: Help Please Links! -----> .Mecha
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.curators, lugnet.build.mecha
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 14:34:39 GMT

In lugnet.admin.curators, Eric Sophie writes:
Um, Help please! Our little corner of Lugnet has no Curator. .Mecha, but
with no Curator our Links are not getting updated. I for one have paid money
to be a part of Lugnet and I would like my Link posted to the resources list.

Legomaster's Lego Continuum
http://www.mylegomaster.com/index.htm
Eric Sophie

I don't want to come off as rude, but just because our group has no Curator-
does this mean we won't get any link updates?!!!?

If that is the case that is really unfair.

I don't have a desire to be a Curator myself, and no one has come forward.
If no one wants to be a Curator in .Mecha will our links remain out of date?

I think that's about the size of it. Suz and the other admins, I suspect,
don't have time to maintain links pages.

I would suggest that you might want to mount an effort to find another
curator candidate among your ranks. You said you personally don't have time
or interest, which is fine. But if you can't find anyone willing to take on
the curatorship I'm not sure it's useful to say that it is "unfair", or to
say "we have paid money, add our links!" That is not why you paid money to
be a member.

I am curator of .trains... and I do not maintain a links page. At least not
a comprehensive one. It's a hard and thankless task. I have had a number of
people send me links, and my standard response is this:

"I don't maintain a comprehensive links page. FTX is easy to use, but I
personally don't have time to do this part of it. If you would be willing to
take on the task, I will be happy to link to your links page from the
.trains front page, let me know the URL of your links page once you have it."

So far I've had no takers. So I feel not a bit of guilt at not adding every
link that is sent me. LUGNET is mostly volunteer run, and it requires
volunteers to actually get out there and volunteer to do things. Those
volunteers deserve thanks, not demands. You may not have intended your post
to sound demanding but it did sound that way to me.

Your short term solution of having everyone post links as a response may be
a bit consumptive of posting resources, but strikes me as not too bad an
idea as it puts them all in one place where interested parties can search
for them. I'd suggest a title that was much more descriptive, and a new
thread started with that title, posted only to build.mecha, that had nothing
else in it.

Hope that helps.

(trimmed suggestions from the XFUT)