 Administrative / Curators / 108
Re: Help Please Links! -----> .Mecha
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.curators, lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 16:59:11 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
I am curator of .trains... and I do not maintain a links page. At least not
a comprehensive one. It's a hard and thankless task. I have had a number of
people send me links, and my standard response is this:

As someone who has tried to keep up a comprehensive links page, I agree
that it's way too much work. Most of what I did was done during a period
of time where my work responsibilities only filled about 20% of my time.
A partial problem also is that I do most of my browsing from work
(during odd moments and such) so I kept my local copy of my pages for
editing at work. Of course people would e-mail me link updates in the
evening which would then get sucked onto my home computer (I have my
work computer set to download my e-mail but not delete it from the
server, the home computer deletes it from the server), these e-mails
then don't get acted upon unless I forward them to work.

It's a real shame that back in the early days, no one came up with a
good scheme for people to self categorize their web pages, and for the
readership to be able to provide input also. The reality of today is
that probably 70-90% of the web content is of extremely limited use
because it isn't easy to find (well, maybe that should be qualified,
probably 70% of the web content is way to easy to find [at least in some
folks books], but then even the "adult" content probably isn't really
searchable either).

Frank