 Administrative / Curators / 109
Re: Help Please Links! -----> .Mecha
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.curators, lugnet.publish, lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 18:07:54 GMT

In lugnet.admin.curators, Frank Filz writes:
As someone who has tried to keep up a comprehensive links page, I
agree that it's way too much work.

Yes, it's much more work that people might imagine. I have an enormous
workload, which unfortunately leaves link updates lower priority than many
other tasks.

For me, even taking the time to automate recurring tasks, or to assign a
task responsibility to someone else, takes more time than I have.

For example, I opened up LUGNET's newsgroup webpage sidebars to outside
editors ('curators') before having a tutorial or FAQ in place to help them
get started (other than the existing FTX help pages). So the job looks more
complicated than it really is, and I get questions from people that I should
have headed off.

Now that the concept of curatorships has passed its initial 'test flight',
my plan is to develop a few pages for incomming potential curators,
including a directory of existing curators, and only THEN, make a big call
for more volunteers.

Meanwhile, as people still come forward, asking for curatorship positions, I
will assign them. But I can't  offer the sort of tech/creative support they
deserve. They need to be fairly pro-active volunteers.

Of course, this is the perfect time for me to ask the existing curators to
help me out by making those help pages.. we could make them FTX pages under
the curator newsgroup.

It's a real shame that back in the early days, no one came up with a
good scheme for people to self categorize their web pages, and for the
readership to be able to provide input also.

It's not too late! I don't see why we couldn't set up a 'self editing'
master links list now. This page is in need of an overhaul.  It's 'on my list.'
   http://www.lugnet.com/links/
It would *really* benefit the community (both of browsers and curators) if
someone were to take advantage of this strategic page position (well,
actually, it's about to get a new URL, but you know what I mean), and write
code that would work back and forth with group sidebars' links lists and
allow readership input.

:-D

Such a thoughtful and obliging volunteer may contact me at anytime.

-Suz
fut- leaving publish, X-to admin.suggestions