 People / 3132
Re: That's no excuse (was Re: How to get link pages made)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 16:16:37 GMT

In lugnet.people, Ben Roller writes:
In lugnet.admin.curators, Eric Sophie writes:
Suz, about the posts this morning. I worked last night and stayed up half
the day. I was WAY to tired to be thinking clearly. I was on Mecha instincts
alone.

This is the just latest example of this issue, and I hope Eric doesn't think
I'm picking on him specifically, but I've been wanting to comment on this
for some time now:

Why do people insist that being tired, or even that the hour is late, is an
excuse for being rude, mean, spastic, or unthinking?  For years I've heard
people say "oh, I was just tired" or "hey, I'm just acting hyper because
it's 3 am."

It seems that we (some of us, not me) have come to accept whatever behaviour
you throw out there when tired, and that I'm somehow obligated to forgive
you.  If you were drunk and acted stupid, most people would think that
you're an irresponsible jerk. But if you're drunk on fatigue or excitement,
I'm suppose to think it's ok and not hold you accountable later when you
sober up.  Just like people who know they get drunk after a few glasses of
wine, after this happens once or twice in your life, I think you should
realize that you just don't do evenings and stop trying.

Hmm, an interesting discussion. I think to a point it is good to give
consideration to the condition you are in. For example, if you call me in the
middle of the night with what you feel is urgent news, you should give
consideration to how I react.

On the other hand, consideration for condition should not be a blank pass. To
this extent, it is appropriate to ask children to go to their room and rest if
they are acting cranky because they wanted to play instead of take a nap.

A lot of what it comes down to is the degree of control the cranky person has
over the situation. Some things to consider:

- did they chose to shortchange their sleep?
- did they chose to use mood altering substances? (any, not just "drugs" or
alcohol)
- are they stressed out at work? (this shouldn't be a free pass, but we should
give folks a little extra consideration here, it's perhaps a little unfair to
tell them, no, because you're stressed out at work and snap at us when we
mildly criticise you, we don't want you to have a little bit of fun)

Frank