 Off-Topic / Debate / 16299
16298  |  16300
Subject:
How to get link pages made
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.curators
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 18:09:31 GMT

<a bunch of good stuff... thanks. Great analogy to property tax by the way!>

I just want to comment on this bit:

I don't know anything about this web page building app. either, so that
might rule me out right there.

K, I won't be any good at it so forget that bit.

David:

FTX is not that hard to learn to do the basics. It's way way was easier than
HTML (by design!). The helps on FTX are actually *quite* good, they are
really well written and give cogent examples of just about everything you
might possibly want to be able to do with it. Also there are enough other
people that know FTX that you could always ask for help from someone if you
are stuck.

Eric:

That does not mean that any particular person is *obligated* to take on the
job of being curator for any particular group. But David and I and others
are saying this... start by finding a curator, or maybe even start by
collecting the links and making an HTML page. But collect them offline via
email or do it in an effective thread that has nothing else in it and that
has good search keywords so it will be easy to find again.

As to my "I don't do link pages" policy, since you chose to question it:

I set my policy for what I feel are my own good and valid reasons. I
personally decided I didn't feel they were as important to me as posting to
.debate occasionally (1) ... we each get to decide for ourselves how much
time to spend on VOLUNTEER activities and how much to spend on FUN. It's not
your place, Eric, to criticise how much I choose to volunteer or how I
choose to apportion that time.

My wife has a tactic that's even blunter than some of mine: whenever someone
complains in one of her volunteer orgs (arts council, PTA, bond issue
campaign committee, etc. etc.) that something wasn't done right, she smiles
sweetly and says "You're so right! And what's more, that position just
opened up, how nice of you to volunteer to take it on" which usually just
shuts them up, but occasionally actually generates an active and successful
new volunteer.

If you want something done right, do it yourself. The tools are there. Or
don't do it at all, as you like. But don't complain about what volunteers
do. That's a lesson that a number of people need to learn, not just you.
(c.f. the mess that complainers made when I first took over the curatorship
of .trains)

It is not the job of the admins to maintain link pages. They've already said
that. MAYBE if you did up a link page yourself on some other site they might
modify the build.mecha front page to point to it for you as a stopgap till a
curator could be found.

But if they do that, they would be doing it as a favor, not because your
membership dollars somehow ENTITLED you to that service.

1 - Eric: why is this in debate again? It's not .off-topic... quit resetting
the FUT.... Also, why ask why people are commenting about this that aren't
build.mecha readers? You put the original post in admin.curators. Good
curators watch that group, and comment.