 Pirates / 528
Re: John E. Doolittle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 20:33:14 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
(with various others, but the attribs get confusing)

How about a barge-like monitor?

No sails or rigging to set afire while arguing with the bad guys.  You • could
tow it (a considerable distance) behind your ship, or anchor it in position
and leave it.  Ideal for leaving in harbour mouths.

You could  tow it into battle, and leave it among the bad guys.  I'm
thinking fireship, only better.

Hmmm, well, that would seem to work.  Don't quite know why it wasn't tried • (or
maybe it has been, but I haven't run across it yet).  Too slow to aim,
especially when the target is moving?

It was tried--in 1862.  That was part of the theory behind the Confederate ram
Virginia (formerly the Federal frigate USS Merrimack).  It just sort of sailed • in
and among the blockade force at Hampton Roads, and caused mayhem.  However, • ships
weren't as close together as I think we're imagining, so it really was • impossible
to take out more than one at a time.  Ammunition, after all, is limited.  :) • I
think the tactic did need to wait for a viable alternative to sail propulsion
before it would be feasible.

Are you refering to congreaves (which is what this is primarily about) or
barge-like platforms for firing?  I can't recall the Virginia using rockets,
but the civil war isn't something I really paid much attention to since the
centennial (ahhhh, all those National Geographic articles when I was a boy).

For anyone interested in the barge-monitor thingie (didn't spot anything about
them using rockets, alas, but I only skimmed the article):

http://www.thehistorynet.com/AmericasCivilWar/articles/07963_text.htm

Bruce