 Pirates / 493
Re: John E. Doolittle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 16:05:33 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
I bow to the other post on the chain.  A league is variable, but usually • three
miles.  A fathom is six feet.  It should be noted a nautical mile is 6000
feet, not 5280.

Since my knowledge of maritime issues extends only far enough to know that a
whale is not a fish, I ask the following question:
How many whats are in a "knot?" Is it shorthand for "nautical mile?" Is it a
standard value, or is it a more elastic measurement depending on who's using
it?  Did I even spell it right?
  Help a poor landlubber understand...

   Dave!

Here ya go
7 a : a division of the log's line serving to measure a ship's speed b (1) :
one nautical mile per hour (2) : one nautical mile -- not used technically

They would measure the ship's speed by dropping a piece of wood (the log)
overboard and measure the time it took to get to the first knot on the line.
With some math you can determine the speed of the ship.

Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life for Me!