 Pirates / 487
Re: John E. Doolittle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 15:29:02 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richard Parsons writes:
Bruce Schlickbernd wrote in message ...
Hard a'starboard.  A command that will actually turn the boat to the left
(port, larboard).  The command is which way to turn the wheel, not the • boat.  I
think (and here I was watching the America's Cup last night and didn't • notice
how it works on modern ships - yes, it's a sloop, not a ship, dang).

Really?  So I turn the wheel left to steer right.  I didn't know that.  I
though only airplanes were that cock-eyed.

I grew up with small sailboats that only had a tiller, where you push the
tiller one way to go the other.  But I've specifcally read somewhere that "hard
a'starboard" is the command for the wheel and the ship very specifcally goes
the other way.  I'll be watching the next America's Cup race closely, as I
said.

And despite having taken the wheel of HMS Bounty (the one they built for the
Mel Gibson version) on Sydney Harbour for half an hour one lovely afternoon,
including for some hard braking, I never noticed this.

I would love to see it, and I'd love to go to Australia some day (my father was
there in the less than ideal circumstances of WWII).  I have been on the upper
decks of the remake of the Golden Hind (which appeared in the movie
Swashbuckler), but that was quite a while ago.  For anyone in southern
california, the tall ships are in Long Beach right now (quick cut and paste
from No Quarter Given's event calander):

Present -- March 12, 2000: TALL SHIPS TOUR 99-00
California Coast, San Diego -- Santa Cruz
With the "Hawaiian Chieftain" with "Pilgrim of Newport, "Bill of Rights", and
"Lady Washington". Reservations & Information: (800) 401-7835
Ports o' Call:
--Long Beach, Rainbow Harbor, January 25-February 6 <<----***
--Ventura February, Venture Village Harbor, 8-21
--Morro Bay February 24-27
--Santa Cruz March 1-12
--San Francisco March 14-21
--Redwood City March 22-April 2
--Oakland March 3-9
--Sausalito April 10-16

--Dockside tours for the public - free tours on day of arrival in port.
--Guided tours for the public include tours below decks. Weekdays except Fri.
4pm-6pm. Sat. 10am-1pm. $7 family, $3 adult, $2 student/senior, $1 child.
Reservations not required.
--Cannon Battle Reenactment Sails -- Passengers can sail along with the
costumed crew on these exciting three hour events. Sat. 2pm -5pm (except Dec.
11, sail is
1pm-4pm). Sun. 10am-1pm & 2pm to 5pm. $40 adult, $25 child.
--Parade of Lights - December 11 -- Join us on the Parade of Lights harbor
cruise on board the Hawaiian Chieftain & Pilgrim of Newport in Marina del Rey
on
Saturday December 11, 6-8pm. $20 adult, $10 child
Reservations & Information: (800) 401-7835

Is that why the helmsman was looking so strained, do you think?

(When you come to Australia, include Sydney in the itinerary, and make sure
you have lunch aboard the Bounty.  Not dinner - take one of the modern
cruisers for the harbour lights cruise.  Have lunch, in the sun, on the hot
deck, look up into the heaving rigging and imagine what it must have been
like.  You'll notice I'm using the imperative.  I'm not asking, I'm telling.
Do it.  You'll love it. :-)

There's only one problem with me and boats - the open ocean makes me seasick!
I don't even let my wife drive the car.  :-)

Conceptualising naval battles is never particularly easy.  Its probably even
harder since I just made it up (I bet _that's_ a shock ;-), and quite
conceivably got parts of it upside down and inside out.  How about if I drew
a picture?  Although maps of naval battles aren't all that helpful either
sometimes.  I'll have a go.

Just take pictures of your ships in action - that'll do it!

Bruce