 Pirates / 428
Re: John E. Doolittle.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 20:40:16 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

DISCLAIMER:  I'm a little loopy today.  Medication.

Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

Snipping all that stuff that I didn't write....

I'm for Great Brikain, Brikannic, and Brikish myself.

But then, I think "colour" is a silly way to spell color, and I like cheque
over check, so I'm not sure you should pay the slightest attention to my
opinions.

It's interesting to see how much drift there also is in pronunciation, even
among a supposedly "homogenous" entity like North America.  (For all the "We
Are Not Americans" that Canadians utter, the dark deep secret is that aside
from Quebec, we're all an awful lot alike--especially around the Great Lakes.
I could be killed for divulging this secret, as the bastard child of both
nations.)  I know a lot of people who really do voice the "-our"--it's no more
unnatural than the "-our-" in "courage". Corage?

best,

Lindsay

Kind of like someone from Boston, "I have to pahk the cah."  Even my Boston
Terrier has to bark, "Bahk, bahk!"  :-)

Canadians are hard to pick out, but I can usually do it (and these are vertical
moves from Vancouver to Los Angeles).  My father moved from Nebraska when he
was 3, but enough of the accent from the region remained that I could recognize
it in others.  In California, it would be easier to hide being Canadian than
being Nebraskan (or worse, my co-worker from New York).

English is just about the craziest language on the face of the planet.

Anyway, I like Brikish because of the reasons Richard notes - it just seems
closer visually to British.

Bruce