 Pirates / 525
Re: John E. Doolittle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 18:57:28 GMT

Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

In lugnet.pirates, Richard Parsons writes:
Tony Priestman  and Bruce Schlickbernd wrote about the relspective meruts of
rockets as an offensive weapon aboard late 17th and early 18th century
warships.

Ok ok ok.

How about a barge-like monitor?

No sails or rigging to set afire while arguing with the bad guys.  You could
tow it (a considerable distance) behind your ship, or anchor it in position
and leave it.  Ideal for leaving in harbour mouths.

You could  tow it into battle, and leave it among the bad guys.  I'm
thinking fireship, only better.

Hmmm, well, that would seem to work.  Don't quite know why it wasn't tried (or
maybe it has been, but I haven't run across it yet).  Too slow to aim,
especially when the target is moving?

It was tried--in 1862.  That was part of the theory behind the Confederate ram
Virginia (formerly the Federal frigate USS Merrimack).  It just sort of sailed in
and among the blockade force at Hampton Roads, and caused mayhem.  However, ships
weren't as close together as I think we're imagining, so it really was impossible
to take out more than one at a time.  Ammunition, after all, is limited.  :)  I
think the tactic did need to wait for a viable alternative to sail propulsion
before it would be feasible.

I think it would work best as a surprise weapon under limited conditions.
Surprise, point-blank range, that kind of thing.  Harbor defense possibly.
Towing would work best in the same kind of condition fire-ships worked best:
when the other fleet is in port.

Or if you have some non-sail method of propulsion--Robert Fulton's 1829 steam "74"
Duegolos (sp.-which I believe the USN actually built) was the first attempt at
this.  It was a standard second-rate ship of the line pattern with only a short
pipe atop.  It had a single wide paddle wheel in the centre of the ship (odd as
that sounds).  One could theoretically do that with human power, however
inefficiently...

best,

LFB