 Pirates / 440
Re: John E. Doolittle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 09:35:01 GMT

Mr L F Braun wrote

I like it!  However, I still really like the
theft-with-the-help-of-landlubber-locals thing--after all, that ship will
take quite a few people to operate, even if the captain goes along with it
(because in order for it to succeed, you've got to do it without most of the
crew).  That's why the slaver could have taken people locally, and this
would be a way for them to get their loved ones back.

Yes yes, I'm with you, I'm with you.  Sheesh some people are keen!  I
thought my last post was way too big and likely to start raising the ire of
the non-storytellers.  I promise future posts of that size will go straight
to the site :-)

It wouldn't surprise me one little bit if John E. found a way to slip out of
Port Block, go rally some friendlies from nearby native villages, and come
back and take the Agamemnon.  Wouldn't surprise me at all....

And I'm with you on the lubber types trying to come to grips with issues
maritime. Not only has the potential to be amusing, it can act as a tour de
force for issues maritime, giving plenty of opportunities for inducting new
kiddies into the 'age of sail society of awe and respect'.

In the meantime, one might start contemplating the sorts of things that can
happen when a largish group of bright Pacific islanders and swashbuckling
farmers embark upon the maritime adventure of their lives, with only a few
officers and a handful of experienced seamen  (Doolittle's and Sheridan's)
to guide them.

Right then, where's my quill......

Richard
Still baldly going...
Check out Port Block at http://www.hinet.net.au/~rparsons/port/
Note the change in URL - Port Block is moving (to new and larger
accommodations)
Do adjust your set.