 Pirates / 434
Re: John E. Doolittle, weekly update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 22:43:13 GMT

<FoCEr4.D8C@lugnet.com> <FoFJJ0.76H@lugnet.com>

Richard Parsons wrote:

Let's see....

  Tim's 'lawyers giving marital advice' got a guernsey after all

A cow?  :)

  There are a couple of pics of the HMS Guy Fawkes making after Doolittle

*LOL* I love the name!  I wonder, do they have a problem with the powder
magazine on that ship...?  Or maybe it's just a facsimilie ship, brought out
every year at about the same time.  "Sorry, we can't chase him, it's now *6*
November..."  :)

Before anyone complains about load time, I know I know.  Next week I'll
split it up into sub pages Colin & Wanda style.  I have put lines across
where I plan to make the page breaks.

And I still need stuff about his missions.

Lindsay's

                   "...story where Doolittle has a moral imperative that,
unfortunately, requires he "borrow" a much larger ship for a while?  For
greater dramatic effect, make it a large Brickish ship, and have everything
turn nearly pear-shaped but come out OK in the end.  Maybe have him chasing
a slaver (which could place it anywhere from West Africa to Formosa)?"

                                         is cool.  I now have the required
larger (and quite glamorous ;-) ship, and I'm fine with it starting out
Brikish, or _even_ Brickish, but details gentlemen, details.  What moral
imperative?  What brings Doolittle into the same orbit as a slaver?  Who put
the tribbles in the quadrotriticale, and what was in the grain that killed
them? And why is something pear shaped such a bad thing anyway?

What could bring him into the same orbit as a slaver?  Brit..er, Brickain's
outlawing of the slave trade in 1807, coupled with the fact that the squadrons
sent to enforce said ban were so pitifully weak that it would fall to free
agents to follow their own morality.  But if we're placing this a bit earlier
(say, 1770s?) you might eliminate the official nature and just get into the grey
issue where the "official" powers were noncommittal.  Perhaps Doolittle could
land somewhere familiar, only to find sorrow as a slave raider had just come
through and taken away friends and family under cover of night--so Doolittle
wishes to set out after the fiend with a powerful frigate (because the Aurora,
for all her spunk, isn't powerful enough to take on a two-deck slaver with
20-plus guns) but the Brickish governor nearby (A retired rear admiral,
naturally, who's very comfortable on his expanding bottom) demands that they go
through "proper channels," which would take *far* too long (no telegraphy,
naturally--but even if there was, this *is* Parliament we're talking about
here).

So Doolittle enlists the aid of his friends in the town/village/wherever the
slaver struck, and together under cover of darkness they "steal" a large ship
(Agamemnon?) and sail off, fully intending to return it.  This offers lots of
potential for humour as these landlubber locals have to learn how to become
seafarers and face down the slaver on his own "home turf"--the sea.  Of course,
the theft itself can be pretty interesting, because most of these people won't
have seen a ship that size up close--much less tried to steal one.

For extra oomph, have the large ship somewhat damaged in the altercation, but
returned with the aforementioned "slaver" as a prize and the slave raider as a
prisoner, thus mending some of the fences with the local constabulary while
cementing Doolittle's reputation among the local folk.  It's got
everything--morality, secrecy, gallant chases, a pitched sea battle, a happy
ending, *and* a tweak of the nose of an amoral Establishment.

Just a few thoughts, feel free to tweak, alter, demolish, or appropriate as
necessary.

best,

Lindsay