 Pirates / 501
Re: John E. Doolittle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:18:45 GMT

Bruce Schlickbernd wrote

Hard a'starboard.  A command that will actually turn the boat
to the left (port, larboard).  The command is which way to turn
the wheel, not the boat.  I think (and here I was watching
the America's Cup last night and didn't notice how it works
on modern ships - yes, it's a sloop, not a ship, dang).

I grew up with small sailboats that only had a tiller, where you
push the tiller one way to go the other.  But I've specifcally
read somewhere that "hard a'starboard" is the command for
the wheel and the ship very specifcally goes the other way.
I'll be watching the next America's Cup race closely, as I said.

How about if the helmsman, instead of

'slammed the wheel hard a'starboard',

'pushed the wheel hard over, and the Aurora heaved sharply to starboard'.?

Present -- March 12, 2000: TALL SHIPS TOUR 99-00
California Coast, San Diego -- Santa Cruz
With the "Hawaiian Chieftain" with "Pilgrim of Newport, "Bill of Rights", • and
"Lady Washington". Reservations & Information: (800) 401-7835

Wasn't lady Washington the Enterprise of Trek 7?

Conceptualising naval battles is never particularly easy.  Its
probably even harder since I just made it up (I bet _that's_ a
shock ;-), and quite conceivably got parts of it upside down and
inside out.  How about if I drew a picture?  Although maps of
naval battles aren't all that helpful either sometimes.  I'll have a go.

Just take pictures of your ships in action - that'll do it!

Reckon I'll do both - but the pics will take longer.  I have the ships, but
not yet the sails.  I'm working on it.

regards

Richard
Still baldly going...
Check out Port Block at http://www.hinet.net.au/~rparsons/port/
Note the change in URL - Port Block is moving (to new and larger
accommodations)
Do adjust your set.