 Pirates / 425
Re: John E. Doolittle.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 15:18:12 GMT

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Richard Parsons (<FoBLH7.DHF@lugnet.com>) wrote at
10:13:06

I've gone with the k instead of ck on the basis that since the words are
going to be read, a close visual similarity would be helpful.  Its a
trade-off obviously, but rest assured it is not an accident, nor just a
colonial contraction.

British
Brikish
Brickish

Britannic
Brikannic
Brickannic

Great Britain
Great Brikain
Great Brickain

Consistency has a value also, and since the idea was indeed Tony's in the
first place, whatever happens there will have a persuasive value.

So, what do you all reckon?

Given that this is an imaginary world, I have no problem with either,
and can see advantages in either spelling.
I can see where you're coming from completely, Richard. But I feel that
'ck' has the aesthetic edge over plain 'k'.

Actually, I'm inclined to mix and match. After all, there's no such word
as Britainnic, so I don't see why Brikannic shouldn't be the 'proper'
word. Or Brikish, come to think of it. Although that would tend to be
pronounced brI-kish without the c, if you were to look at it out of
context.

But I'm sticking with Great Brickain, because all of the place names
I've come up with tie in with it.

YMMV :-)

(my spell checker has just gone berserk! :-)
--
Tony Priestman