 Pirates / 492
Re: John E. Doolittle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 16:02:21 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
I bow to the other post on the chain.  A league is variable, but usually • three
miles.  A fathom is six feet.  It should be noted a nautical mile is 6000
feet, not 5280.

Since my knowledge of maritime issues extends only far enough to know that a
whale is not a fish, I ask the following question:
How many whats are in a "knot?" Is it shorthand for "nautical mile?" Is it a
standard value, or is it a more elastic measurement depending on who's using
it?  Did I even spell it right?
  Help a poor landlubber understand...

   Dave!

Webster's Dictionary says:

<quote>
In nautical usage knot is a unit of speed, not of distance, and has a built-in
meaning of “per hour.” Therefore, a ship would strictly be said to travel at
ten knots (not ten knots per hour).
knot: (a) A division of the log line, serving to measure the rate of the
vessel's motion. Each knot on the line bears the same proportion to a mile
that thirty seconds do to an hour. The number of knots which run off from the
reel in half a minute, therefore, shows the number of miles the vessel sails
in an hour. Hence: (b) A nautical mile, or 6080.27 feet; as, when a ship goes
eight miles an hour, her speed is said to be eight knots.
<endquote>

I don't quite know what all this means, but maybe you can figure it out from
here...

-Adam