 Pirates / 497
Re: John E. Doolittle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 18:37:28 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Lance Scott writes:
The Ideal Tactic in the Wooden Ships Age was to 'Cross the T' with the enemy.
That means to sail your broadside across the bow or stern of the opponent. • He
could not bring his broadside to bear whilst you let him have a full volley.

I think I read or saw somewhere that this same tactic was used in WWII
(Battle of Midway, maybe?).  It's cool (insofar as war is cool) that such
venerable methods still see use in more modern times.

   Dave!

The fleets never saw each other at the Battle of Midway (aircraft carrier
warfare).

The Battle of Jutland in WWI would be more appropriate.  The entire british
fleet crossed the T on the german fleet.  The germans used their "battle turn
away" tactic to get out with their skins.

Bruce